• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Charitable?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I just received my February 2013 AAPC. I noticed the article on page 10 "124 Pounds-worth of Pop Tops for a Good Cause". Members in an AAPC chapter in Minnesota thought they were doing a charitable act, collecting pop tops off cans and donating them to the Ronald McDonald House. The Coding Edge reported the story with the heading KUDOS. My opinion: Good intentions, but only if you are so myopic that you can't see the big picture. Let me explain.

Apparently, people do not remember why the pop tops are connected to the can. They are connected so that people do not pull them off and leave them behind littering the earth. Years ago the pop tops pulled entirely off and this was a problem. So then we started cleverly designing the cans so you could open the can and the pop top stayed attached. The litter from stray pop tops decreased. Then we got really smart and started recycling the whole can. BUT, now some organizations have made pulling off the pop tops and donating them a fundraiser. Trouble is when you pull off the pop tops and recycle the rest of the can you are actually cheating the recycling company out of a bit of the aluminum though they still pay you the full deposit amount. Should we rob Peter to pay Paul? I think not.

But wait there's more for me to be chagrined (actually, downright depressed) about. You see, if there is one thing that all nutritionists agree about it is this: sugar is bad for you! Most nutritionists will adamantly steer you away from soda because they contain high amounts of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and/or artificial sweeteners, none of which are good for you. This country has serious health issues that are linked to sugar (and other sweeteners) such as diabetes, high blood pressure, increased triglycerides, obesity, and liver problems, and probably more.

So if you want to help out the Ronald McDonald House, and other charitable organizations, it would be better for the adults and their kids to eat less sugary substances, including soda, and take the money you save from indulging so much in these unhealthy substances and donate the money to the organization. You will be helping your own health and the health of your kids, and helping those at the Ronald McDonald House, too.

Doctors take an oath "to do no harm". Maybe we all should.

Ruth Sheets, graduate of Institute for Integrative Nutrition, the World's Largest Nutrition School

For more info: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120201/americans-sweet-on-sugar-time-to-regulate

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I vaguely thinking something was off with that when i read it and now I know what it is - I hate how soda predominates. I grew up on the stuff but about 10 years ago gave it up when I realized all that you are saying about it. My kids tast soda maybe once every few months if we're at a party and it's served. I now drink Rooibos herbal tea and Kombucha (I love the champaign fizz) and health benefits. We actually make our own now because it is too expensive if you're going to drink it regularly.

Thanks for opening the discussion Ruth!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I love Rooibus tea and Kombucha. I'm impressed that you make you own!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Rooibos tea comes from the "Red Bush" which grows in South Africa. and according to Wikipedia, "Although human studies of rooibos are scarce in scientific literature, animal studies suggest it has potent antioxidant, immune-modulating and chemopreventive effects." My package describes it as a tantalizing blend of creamy African rooibos and tangy hibiscus flowers, citrusy herbs and a pinch of rosemary.

Kombucha tea is a tea made from a "kombucha culture", commonly called a "mushroom" of certain types of lichen, bacteria, and yeast that is fermented for about a week in a mixture of water, sugar, and green or black tea with apple cider vinegar or a bit of previously made tea. (This is why I buy mine!) It may sound unappetizing but it tastes good, but I wouldn't chug it, I sip it slowly. The commercial type is often fruit flavored. It may be an acquired taste for some people, but after I drink it, I feel I refreshed, relaxed, and energized at the same time. It contains a variety of different nutrients, is alkaline, a natural energy booster, and a detoxifier and "may also fight diseases as AIDS, cancer, and multiple sclerosis" according to Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, in her book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing.

Rooibos tea and kombucha can be purchased in a health food store, and in health food section of some grocery stores. I live in NY and find the Synergy brand of kombucha tea at a relatively good price at my local Hannaford grocery store compared to the health food store.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thanks for explaining the teas. Now I know what they are and where to find them.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Until I read this forum I thought I was walking on the wild side because I drink 100% pure white tea. Now I'm going to look for kombucha and give that a try. Thanks for the great information Ruth!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Michele, I used to give tours of health food stores in my area, so along the way I learned about all kinds of interesting foods and drinks. Love to explore and try new foods!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I saw the Kombucha tea in the organic aisle in a grocery store. What does it taste like? Is it a strong type of tea?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It really doesn't taste like anything you ever had before, but it has vinegar-like overtones, so that is why I say it is an acquired taste. The flavored ones - cherry chia, grape chia, are more popular, I think, because they has the sweetness of the flavorings. That would probably be the best to try first.